Sunday, May 10, 2009

GETTIN' JIGGY WITH IT

Dave's my hero. :)

He researched the Internet and came up with the design for a jig. What's a jig? Well, it's really a tool to help you do something else easier.

The jig Dave made is an adjustable measuring tool that makes measuring numerous inconsistant spaces easily and quickly measurable. Did that make sense? I hope so.

Dave ordered the tee-nuts (see picture) online and built the rest in five easy pieces from scrap plywood. Please see the pictures. I hope to work up an article on how he built these at some point in time, but until now, hopefully the pictures can tell the story.

We have a system for using the jig. I use the jig to measure the space and transfer the measurement to a board. By starting in one bay (I call #1) I can add numerous measurements to one long board (writing the corresponding number in each measurement on the board). Doing it this way, the entire board can be cut at one time into multiple stops. The numbers on the cut boards correspond to the bay. I fit the pieces into the bay and Dave follows me around with the nail gun and nails them into place. This system make the process go fairly quickly. By me measuring and marking, Dave can be working on something else until the boards are ready to cut. I don't like using power tools that much, so he does that stuff.

To use the jig:
1. Loosen the nuts (replace pieces if you need a longer or shorter measurement).
2. Fit the jig snugly into the space to be measured and tighten the nuts.
3. Remove the jig.
4. Place the jig on a piece of lumber and mark both ends with a pencil.
5. Number the stop to be cut to match the bay you measured.
6. When enough stops have been marked on a board to fill the board, cut the stops.
7. Nail the stops into place within the bays.

No comments:

Post a Comment